If you are facing any issues with the Windows Automatic Driver updates, then read more to know How to Stop Automatic Driver Updates in Windows. In the previous versions of Windows, there was an option to stop updating drivers, but in subsequent versions, no such option is available. Windows drivers are updating automatically, this made the biggest problem.
Turning off automatic driver installation in Windows 7 is the primary solution to this problem. If Wi-Fi is connected to the device, it will update the drives automatically by concern company device updates. It will show a confirmation message, but sometimes it will not show, simply It will raise the problem in all versions of Windows.
The Necessity to Solve the Problem:
It is necessary to solve this problem, because as it is updating immediately; we may have saved some data or working on it, then the data would be lost. If we have information about it, we will complete the programming with that and update it when we have leisure time. Because it is done automatically without our permission.
Suppose we stopped the process in between the updating, then our Data will be lost, and Updates will not be done correctly. This means the app will need to be fixed so that we have to disable the Automatic Driver Updates in Windows.
How to Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows?
There are a few methods to stop Windows from updating automatically. Here is a step-by-step procedure you must follow to resolve Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows devices. Generally, we have doubts about “How to disable automatic driver downloads on Windows 10/ 7/8?” Then there are the solutions applicable to all versions of Windows.
#1. Stop Automatic Driver Updates in the Windows by Control Panel:
Follow the simple step-by-step procedure to solve the problem.
- Just click on the Start button & type Control Panel.
- Then, the Control panel will appear as a search result.
- Click on System & Security, the first option in that.
- Then click on the System, and it will show you the configuration of the System.
- You have to observe a menu on the left side of the window. In that menu, click on the last option Advanced System Settings. You can get this window directly by clicking on the Windows+ Break buttons on the keyboard.
- A new window is opened; In that window, you have to choose the Hardware tab. In that window, you have to click on the Device Installation Settings.
- Next, you may observe one pop-up generated & ask, “Do you want to automatically download the manufacturer’s apps & custom icons available for your devices?”.
- Now, you must select the No, so your device will not update without your permission. And then, click on the save changes button.
- The problem is resolved, and this will stop automatic driver updates in the window.
#2. Stop Automatic Driver Update Using RUN Commands:
This is a big question for the user “How to prevent Windows from automatically updating specific drivers”. Just follow these simple steps to achieve it:
- Just click on Windows + r to open the RUN utility.
- Type gpedit.msc on the textbox, and click on OK.
- It will navigate you to the Local Group Policy Editor window.
- There is an option for Computer Configuration on the left side menu; you have three sub-items in it.
- You have to select the Administrative Templates in the Computer Configuration.
- You have to click on the System directory to open it.
- Next, search & click on the Device Installation directory to open Device Installation settings.
- In that Device Installation Settings window, click on the Device Installation Restrictions directory to open it.
- Next, double-click the option “Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings” in it.
- It will navigate you to the new window; click on the Enable radio button and click on the OK button.
- Just restart your System to apply the changes.
#3. Stop Automatic Driver Updates in the Windows Using Settings:
Disabling automatic driver installation Windows 7/8/10 is the solution for it. Follow these steps to do this:
- Click on Windows + I on the keyboard to open the Windows settings.
- Tap on the Device icon to open the device settings.
- On that Device Settings window, Choose the option Devices & Printers option. It will navigate you to a new window.
- In that Devices & Printers window, right-click on your computer device settings icon.
- Select the option Device Installation Settings.
- It will open a pop-up window. It will ask, “Do you want to automatically download the manufacturer’s apps & custom icons available for your devices?”.
- You have to select NO, Click the Save changes button, and confirm it by Clicking Yes in the following pop-up window.
- Restart the computer to resolve the problem.
#4. Disable automatic driver updates Windows Registry:
Disabling automatic Driver updates in Windows 10 Registry is very easy, so follow the simple method:
- Just click on Windows + r to open the Run utility and type regedit to open the registry window.
- Now navigate to the Register Editor Home page.
- There is a menu on the left; click the arrow mark near the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory or open it.
- Just click on the arrow mark near the option Software directory.
- Click on the arrow mark near the Microsoft directory.
- You click on the arrow mark near the Windows directory.
- Just click on the arrow mark near the Current Version directory.
- Next, search & click on the Driver searching directory in it.
- On the right side, you can observe one option, Search Order Config, and click on it.
- It will navigate you to the new window to edit the value of the configuration. Generally, it is ‘1’, but change the value to Zero and click the OK button.
- Reboot the system problem may be resolved. You can disable Driver update Windows 11 also like this.
#5. Uninstall & Reinstall the Device Drive:
How to prevent Windows from updating AMD drivers if the problem is not resolved now? Then you have to Uninstall the Device drives and reinstall them. Before uninstalling, make sure that you have the installation of Drive with you, or you have to purchase & download the Drivers from the official website.
- Just type the Device Manager in the text box near the Windows button to open the Device Manager window.
- In the Device Manager Window, click on the arrow mark near the option Display Adapters.
- It will open the Display item Intel HD Graphics option; right-click on it.
- Click on Uninstall the Device option; It will navigate to a pop-up window.
- This asks you for confirmation to uninstall, so you have to check the check box & click on Uninstall button to Uninstall Drives.
- Reboot the System and reinstall the Drives to use.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to turn on automatic Driver updates in Windows 10?
Just open the device manager window by typing at the textbox near the Windows button
- Next, choose the device you have updated & right-click on it
- Click on the option Update Driver, and it will update automatically.
2. How can I remove the update?
Just click on Windows + r to open the Run utility and type “appwiz.cpl“, and click OK.
- You will get all the apps present in your System.
- observe the unwanted one, and right-click on it.
- Click on the Uninstall option in it. It will remove the app completely.
3. Are there any tools to update drivers manually?
There are Tools are available to update drives manually with a single click. For Example: Show or hide updates tool, smart device care tool.
Generally, the drives will not be up to date, but sometimes they update automatically without any notification. It is updated from the official site, but sometimes it may cause hardware issues, so we don’t want to update automatically. We need to stop the automatic updating of drivers. Automatic Driver Updates in Windows can be disabled easily by the above methods. Read the article completely to resolve the problem. You can follow the methods carefully and fix the problem.