If your Mac Trackpad facing some issue, that leads to not working at all. then read more to know the working methods to Fix the Mac Trackpad is not Working issue and make it work.
I think most Mac device users are facing problems with their Mac Trackpad. It is one of the most common issues faced by almost all Mac users. Not everyone uses the additional Mouse attached to the system to move and use the cursor. Mostly all the users use Trackpad to do the things with the cursor.
If you have questions like Why can’t I move files into folders on Mac, then this issue may occur due to the Mac Trackpad not working issue.
What is the Trackpad and Why does it stop working?
The Trackpad or Touchpad is one of the most important things of the Mac devices, and when it comes to accessing the system it takes the second place whereas the Keyboard comes in the first place to access the system. Actually, the Trackpad accepts and follows all user’s commands, and the complete acts and operations will be done faster by the given commands by users.
The most common reason for the Trackpad not working issue was due to the outdated software version on all the devices. When your Mac device Trackpad cannot process all the users’ commands, then you can conclude it is the Trackpad Not Working issue. There are some other reasons for this issue, and all the other reasons will depend upon the situation.
Reasons That Cause Mac Trackpad Is Not Working Issue:
- Due to The outdated version of the software.
- Deactivate some of the options to work normally and turn off the Fore; click the option later.
- The changes made by you knowingly or unknowingly in the settings of the Mac Trackpad.
- The settings of the NVRM, PRAM, and SMC are some of the controllers of Mac devices. By changing the settings of those controllers, the device will face the issue that leads to the Mac Trackpad not working.
- Continuous accessing the alternative Mouse and ignoring the Trackpad.
- Due to the performance of the Mac Trackpad also expires in some situations.
Before Going to the methods to solve the issue, Without losing any data you can back up the data with Time Machine Backup, you need to know the Steps to back up Data from a Mac using Time Machine Backup.
How to solve the Mac Trackpad Is Not Working issue?
Most of the users face problems with their Trackpad on Mac devices, because many stopped working with Trackpad, whereas they only use the Additional mouse to access the system. So if you really face the Trackpad Not working issue, then read more to know the working methods below.
#1. Check for System Update:
Sometimes the outdated software version will not allow you to access the Trackpad. So if there is a need to update the system? then follow the procedure update system if required.
- Turn on the Mac device and navigate to the home screen.
- Click on Apple Logo which is at the top left corner of the Home screen of the Mac device.
- When you click on the Apple logo you will navigate to a different page, where you can see different icons, click on the System Preferences icon.
- On the System Preference page, simply click on the Software Update.
- If there is any latest update available, then download it and update it.
- That’s it, please check your Trackpad on your Mac devices and make sure whether it is working or not.
#2. Turn Off the Force Click Option:
There are 2 different variations for accessing the Trackpad. Those are force-click and Tap-to-click. Both two types are treated as How you access them. Tap to click is just to move the cursor as you need. But when it comes to the force click the user needs to hold the Trackpad until it accepts your demand or order. By disabling the Force click, the issue will be solved sometimes.
- First of all Turn on your Mac device’s home screen.
- Now click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the home screen.
- Here you can see different icons, Tap on the System preference option.
- Now Click and select the Trackpad in the system performance.
- Here choose the Point & Click option.
- Now turn off the toggle to disable the Force click option.
This is the most common mistake made by all users. It could be done by mistake, or it could be done intentionally. You can access the Trackpad without issues when you turn off the toggle. If the Force click option causes the problem, then this method will solve the Trackpad clicking is not working on MacBook Air.
#3. The trackpad has to be Reset:
Will Mac device users make some changes to the Settings, then it will cause issues like this? So that was the major mistake made by most of the Mac device users. So you need to reset all the settings to default to solve the Mac Trackpad Is Not Working issue.
- Select the Apple icon on the Mac device.
- Later tap on the system preferences and then select the Trackpad option.
- Turn off the toggle in the Trackpad settings to default.
- Now choose the Scroll & Zoom option.
- Now check “Scroll Direction: Natural” to Enable.
- If all the above steps are done carefully, then the Trackpad will become normal.
This method will allow you to change the access of the Trackpad as it is in the beginning. The process of changing the settings of the Trackpad will make the Trackpad as it was available before. The process is almost the same for factory resetting or restoring MacBook Air.
#4. Reset both NVRAM and PRAM Settings:
NVRAM is defined as non-volatile random-access memory, and coming to PRAM is defined as a Parallel Random Access Machine. Both the RAMs will allow you to Store some of the memory of the device settings in the Trackpad. To reset both the NVRAM and PRAM, follow the below instructions.
- Close all the apps running on the Mac.
- Turn off or shut down the device and rest it for half to one minute.
- Now Open and start the MacBook; wait until it starts.
- Hold both the keys, P and R, as soon as it starts.
- Now you can hear some sound as soon as it restarts; The sound is nothing but a Startup sound.
- That means the device is booting automatically.
- That’s it, now both the NVRAM and PRAM settings of the Mac device are booted and set to default.
If this issue is caused due to both NVRAM and PRAM, then this procedure will solve the issue.
#5. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC):
All the controls of the Mac device will be in the SMC of the device. So the settings of the System Management Controller can also change the settings and disable the operations of the Trackpad. So by resetting the System Management Controller, we can solve the Trackpad not working issue easily.
- Turn off the MacBook device and make sure that it is turned off.
- When it turns off, you must hold the Shift and Control Option keys on the Keyboard.
- Now Hold the Power button of the Mac device for a while.
- As for the records, the time to hold all the keys has to be for 10 seconds.
- After 10 Seconds’ release, all the keys and the system will start to Boot automatically.
- Now all the device settings and the System Management Controller (SMC) will be reset.
That’s it. If the Trackpad is not working issue occurs due to the changes in the System Management Controller (SMC), then this method is the perfect solution to solve the issue.
Method #6. Run Apple Diagnostics:
Diagnosing in Apple devices will check all the errors and solve them independently. To diagnose the device, follow the instructions completely. The complete process will be much easier than all the above processes.
- Make sure that the Macbook battery is full.
- If it is full, then remove all the cables from the device.
- Now Switch off the Mac device and rest it for a while.
- It’s time to switch it on and make sure to Hold the D key along with the power switch at the time while you are switching it on.
- Now all the cables must have to removed from the device.
- When the device turns on, the device will ask for permission for the preferred language; so simply Select the preferred language.
- Later allow the device to Diagnostics and check for errors.
The complete diagnostics will check and solve it automatically if it is required, so the complete process is one of the best advantages of Apple devices, as it is not possible on all the other devices. This is the finest method to solve all the issues of MacBook devices.
Method #7. Remove Any Connected Peripherals:
Sometimes Peripherals like Mouse and Bluetooth or other wireless dongles may cause trouble with your Macbook Trackpad. This method is simple; because you simply have to rule out these elements. If the external Mouse is connected, make sure to disconnect it, and next, reboot your Macbook, and then check whether the problem is fixed or not. This method not only fixes the Mac Trackpad is Not Working Issue but also fixes the Safari can’t open the page on various devices. We are giving the link to know How to fix Safari can’t open the page on iPhone, iPad, and Mac devices.
Method #8. Delete the Trackpad Property List Files:
Sometimes you have to check where the fault occurs. Some of the corrupted property lists (list) could be the fault, and that leads to the Macbook Trackpad Not working issues.
To locate them, open the Finder, then the “Go -> Go to Folder” menu. The keyboard shortcut to get here from the Finder is Command + Shift + G.
Type the “/Library/Preferences/” path in the dialogue that pops up, then click Go. Now in the Finder window, look for the following files:
If you find either file on your Mac, then delete them. Once you have done with the above steps, restart your Macbook and check for any further issues.
Method #9. Clean the Keyword:
- Hold your MacBook at a 75-degree angle.
- Use the compressed air to spray the Keyboard in a left-to-right motion.
- Rotate your MacBook onto its right side and spray the Keyboard from left to right.
- Repeat with the MacBook rotated to its left side.
Bonus points to Fix the Mac Trackpad Not Working Issue:
- Never change the settings of the device without knowledge.
- Backup at least once a month.
- Better use Diagnostics to solve this kind of error.
- Access an alternative Mouse in urgent cases when the Touchpad fails to work.
- You better remember all the changes you made in the device’s settings.
Sometimes, Mac users may also face the MacBook Microphone not working issue, So Don’t worry you can easily solve this issue by simply going through the Guide to Fix Microphone Not Working on Macbook Air.
Mac Trackpad Not Working is a common issue faced by almost all users. It is better if you need to access the Trackpad gently; if you use it harder, it will be damaged by your actions. No Trackpad was found on the MacBook is a related error to the Trackpad.
I hope to add more methods in deep research to solve it. If you find any other solution to the Trackpad Not working issues, then let me know through the comments section. Thanks for choosing TechNewVision.